August 01, 2018

Manila underground metro construction to begin this year

Written by 
  • Print
  • Email

THE secretary of the Philippines Department of Transportation (DOTr), Mr Arthur Tugade, confirmed at a press briefing on August 1 that major construction will begin on the first underground metro line in Manila by the end of this year, earlier than previously scheduled.

Tugade says civil works were due to start on the Metro Manila Subway Project (MMSP) next year but have been “expedited upon the agreement of the parties.”

“We are still on track,” Tugade says. “We are starting the groundbreaking and formal construction by the end of the year.”

The 25km 14-station line will link Mindanao Avenue in Quezon City with Ninoy Aquino International Airport in Paranaque City.

The government finalised a financing agreement with the Japan International Cooperation Agency (Jica) for the Pesos 357bn ($US 7.1bn) project in March.

The DOTr aims to open at least three stations - Mindanao-Quirino Highway, Tandang Sora and North Avenue - by 2022, with the remainder of the line due for completion by 2025.

 

Get the latest rail news

IRJ Rail Brief newsletter covers global railway news